Monday, February 23, 2009

Sunday night italian dinner

I doubled the recipe for minestrone which doubled the chopping as well and led me to finally understand the concept of using your knuckles to position the knife. I learned about the not so secret measurements of the tang and the rivets of a chef's knife and made a lot of fine dice of zucchini, carrots, onions, celery, and potato. I made the beef stock yesterday and soaked the tiny white beans over night.


Mom and dad helped me make these mezzaluna; stuffed with a filling of hen of the woods mushrooms in a soffritto of onions, slab bacon and rosemary mixed with whole milk ricotta, parmigiano-reggiano, egg yolk, crushed pepper and salt. They were boiled for a few minutes and then served in a simple butter and sage sauce.

Pork loin braised in red wine, vinegar, bay leaves and crushed black pepper with finnochio braised in water, olive oil and salt.



The backup plan was fettucini, so we had two pasta courses. This one in olive oil, hot red pepper and garlic. Next time I want to add some sichuan pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment