Saturday, February 21, 2009

Sweedish anise carroway rye bread

1/2 rye and 1/2 unbleached white from the Tassalhara bread book, page 40. It's got some powered milk in it and an egg glaze, so it's not vegan, but super yummy. I made a sponge first and then let it rise twice after kneading. I baked it in a convection gas oven at 300° for 50 minutes which was colder and faster than indicated. I'm still getting the hang of my new oven. I think the best way to tell if it is ready is by thumping on it with your thumb to see what sound it makes. The bread was very good toasted with some homemade butter and raw local crystalized honey. The loaves really puff up fast in the oven, and they always seem to tear the fibers all around the top of the loaf. I would like to figure that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment